The likely cause of the Huckleberry fire in Joe Rich won't surprise anyone
Marshall Jones - Managing Editor
Fire information office Bruce Smith.
(MARSHALL JONES / iNFOnews.ca)
July 04, 2015 - 2:08 PM
KELOWNA - The Huckleberry fire is now 50 per cent contained but residents under evacuation order are still not allowed to return home.
The area still has visible hot spots and shows the fire clearly started just off the highway yesterday, July 3. Public information officer Bruce Smith said at a press conference today it was likely caused by vehicle traffic.
"In all likelihood it looks like something that was tossed from a vehicle," he said. "We would like to remind all motorists, all people... to be careful."
Information officer Bruce Smith said most of the growth in the fire took place inside the containment to the west and the south. The fire has now been mapped at 55 hectares in size and hasn't grown since last night.
He said no structures have been lost and all residents in the evacuation area have left their homes. So far 209 evacuees have registered with emergency social services. It appears from RCMP door-to-door checks that no one has decided to stay home and wait it out.
We will have more information as it becomes available.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Marshall Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015