Premier David Eby speaks to reporters from his office following the throne speech at the legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Republished April 02, 2025 - 5:32 PM
Original Publication Date April 02, 2025 - 4:16 PM
A teenager who was found blocks from her group home on a cold January night this year "shouldn't have died" British Columbia Premier David Eby said, adding that her death represented a "failure."
The 18-year-old Indigenous youth's family members were in the B.C. legislature's gallery on Wednesday, watching as Eby's government was grilled over the treatment of children and youth in care.
Eby told the legislature there were legal constraints that prevented him speaking about specific cases.
"It doesn't constrain me from saying to this family that this was a precious child (and) she shouldn't have died. Any time that a child dies in care, it is a failure, and we need to learn all we can to prevent the deaths of any other children in care," he said.
"Thank you for having the courage to share this story. It's important for all British Columbians to hear, and you have my assurance that we will get you the answers that you deserve."
Opposition B.C. Conservatives used much of their time during question period to criticize the government's handling of the child welfare system and what they see as repeated failures to protect vulnerable youth.
The Indigenous teen, who The Canadian Press has chosen not to name, died while in the care of Usma Nuu-chah-nulth Family and Child Services, an agency of the Ministry of Children and Family Development, after she was found unresponsive near her group home in Port Alberni, B.C.
The Opposition said the teen was found on a night when temperatures dropped to -7 C and its members called for a coroner’s inquest into what happened, saying the family still has unanswered questions.
B.C. Conservative Amelia Boultbee said the government had only implemented nine out of 72 recommendations made by B.C.'s representative for children and youth on improving the child welfare system.
"(The youth's) family is here in the gallery. They have been trying for months to get communication and answers from this government about (her) death. It has been 64 days since (her) death. My question is, how many more children have to die before this government implements the remaining 63 recommendations?" Boultbee said.
Jodie Wickens, the minister of children and family development, responded that she had cleared her schedule to meet with the teen's family if they were open to it, adding that her ministry does a review any time a child dies.
Wickens said 14 children died last year while they were in government care.
"We are working across government on a comprehensive child and youth well-being plan and outcomes framework. I am committed to that work, and I am committed to doing better for children and youth in this province," she said.
The youth's aunt called for change in a statement released by the B.C. Conservatives.
“It’s not just about one life lost; it’s about the need for reform to protect other vulnerable children in care,” she said.
In January, the representative for children and youth said chronic understaffing, excessive workload and burnout had placed those in charge of caring for children in the welfare system in "crisis."
Jennifer Charlesworth's report said there were "unrelenting demands for services, unmanageable workloads, inadequate family and community support services to meet the fundamental needs of children and families."
Wednesday's question period was the second time the government had been criticized this week over the child welfare system.
On Monday, B.C. Green MLA Rob Botterell said "tinkering around the edges" was not enough to respond to the ongoing injustices.
"Families and communities continue to be shaken by the tragedies that arise from a broken system," he said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 2, 2025.
News from © The Canadian Press, 2025