Sunny weekend in store for the Okanagan, but weird weather continues | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

0.5°C

Penticton News

Sunny weekend in store for the Okanagan, but weird weather continues

Skaha Lake in a May 1, 2020 file photo.
July 02, 2020 - 3:00 PM

So far, July Okanagan weather still looks a lot like our wet weird June weather.

However, the timing is right for a two-day window of relatively clear skies and comfortable temperatures this weekend for a change.

Environment Canada meteorologist Bobby Sekhon says Okanagan weather has been subject to an “Omega block” pattern since late May, and it appears as though it will continue into the first full week of July at least.

He says the trough-like pattern that has dominated weather in southern B.C. over the past few weeks looks on a weather map like the shape of the omega letter from the Greek alphabet.

"That’s been causing us to have this cool, unsettled weather, and in general the omega block seems to be weakening, but overall we’re going to remain in a trough-like pattern into the first full week of July,” he says. “We can expect unsettled weather for the next little while. We’ll have breaks – this weekend looks fairly dry – but even so, I wouldn’t rule out a possible thundershower this weekend.”

Environment Canada says to expect a mix of sun and cloud in the Okanagan today, with a 30 per cent chance of showers late this afternoon, along with the risk of a thunderstorm.

Winds should become south at 20 km/h, gusting to 40 this afternoon, with a high of 21 Celsius.

Mainly cloudy skies are expected overnight with a 30 per cent chance of evening showers changing to a 70 per cent chance of showers later in the evening, along with a low of 10 C.

Friday should see cloudy skies with a 60 per cent chance of showers.

Wind is expected to become south at 20 km/h in the afternoon, then north at 20, gusting to 40.

Friday’s high should reach 18 C with an overnight low of 9 C, accompanied by cloudy skies and a 30 per cent chance of showers.

Saturday’s forecast calls for a mix of sun and clouds and a high of 25 C, with sunny skies and a high of 26 C expected Sunday.

Monday should see increasing cloudiness with a forecast calling for a high of 26 C. There is a 60 per cent chance of showers extending from Monday night through Wednesday, with Tuesday’s high expected at 24 C and Wednesday’s high at 23 C.

Vernon, Kelowna and Penticton normally see a high and low of 25 C and 11 C to start July.

Meanwhile, across the country in Ontario, after some cooler weather earlier this spring, that province is baking in a heat wave.

The Weather Network reports heat warnings are in place for southern and eastern Ontario where daytime highs will hit or exceed 30 Celsius, making it feel closer to the 40s, with no significant relief in sight to the heat and humidity.
 


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2020
iNFOnews

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile