Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
5.9°C

Spontaneous combustion blamed for OK Falls landfill fire

Okanagan Falls firefighters doused an early morning fire at the Okanagan Falls landfill.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED
August 23, 2017 - 1:55 PM

OKANAGAN FALLS - Okanagan Falls firefighters were called to an early morning blaze at the landfill today.

Fire chief Bob Haddow says the department responded around 5:45 a.m. today, Aug. 23, after a nearby resident reported seeing smoke at the landfill.

Firefighters were quickly able to douse the blaze.

Haddow says the fire was sparked by spontaneous combustion and was contained to the landfill area.

Crews were on scene for approximately 40 minutes.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile