Space heater cause of Holt Street house fire - InfoNews

Current Conditions


Space heater cause of Holt Street house fire

Crews work to knock down a fire that started in the garage of this Holt Street house earlier this week.
February 05, 2014 - 12:15 PM

KAMLOOPS - A fire that destroyed a home on Holt Street earlier this week in Kamloops may be blamed on an otherwise innocent attempt to beat the cold weather in the Tournament Capital.

Kamloops Fire Rescue is attributing the blaze at 920 Holt Street on Monday afternoon to a space heater that ignited gasoline fumes in a garage.

“Lots of fires happen with space heaters at this time of the year,” said Kamloops Fire Rescue lieutenant Arlene Ball. “You don’t want to put them in an area with flammable vapours.”

The lone person in the home at the time tried removing belongings from the garage while the fire started and was rushed by ambulance for treatment of smoke inhalation.

“The gentleman was taken to Royal Inland Hospital,” Ball said. They had a dog, but it was unharmed.

A space heater was responsible for a vehicle fire earlier this week so Kamloops Fire Rescue is urging readers to take precautions.

-Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater.
-Keep flammable liquids stored in approved containers and away from space heaters.
-Plug heater directly into the wall. Don't use extension cords.

To contact a reporter for this story, email:, call: (250) 319-7494.


News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile