Seven heat records broken in Thompson-Okanagan | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Cloudy  2.6°C

Kelowna News

Seven heat records broken in Thompson-Okanagan

If you thought it was unusually hot yesterday, June 8, you were right.

Seven daily heat records were broken in the Thompson-Okanagan and 19 in the province as a whole.

Kamloops got to 35.7 Celsius, breaking its old record of 35 C set in 1948 while Kelowna reached 35.1 C. Its old record was 34.9 C set in 2015.

Vernon reached 35.5 C, breaking its 2015 record of 34.2. Penticton recorded 33.9 C, which was not record setting.

Other records that fell in the Thompson regional district were in Cache Creek (37.9 C versus 36.9 C in 2015), Clearwater (36.4 C versus 32.8 C in 1969) Clinton (30.5 C versus 26.9 C in 2015) and Lytton (38.5 C versus 36.7 C in 1948).

Not far away, Golden broke its record at 35 C as did Revelstoke when it reached 36.1 C and Lillooet at 36.4 C.

Sixteen heat records were broken in Alberta and one in Nunavut where Arviat reached 19.4 C, smashing its 2006 record of 11.2 C.

READ MORE: Why this 86-year-old BC man won't get his driver's licence back

Records are not likely to fall over the next few days as a low pressure system is cooling things off and may bring some rain and thundershowers.

Kamloops is forecast to reach 31 C today, drop down to a high of 25 C on Saturday before climbing back to 30 C or more Sunday and into next week.

The Okanagan is expected to be a degree or two cooler.

There’s a 30% chance of showers in the Thompson-Okanagan starting as early as this morning, climbing to 60-70% tonight and 30-40% Saturday.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Rob Munro or call 250-808-0143 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2023
iNFOnews

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile