Resident of Kelowna apartment receives minor burns during kitchen fire - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Cloudy
-0.2°C

Resident of Kelowna apartment receives minor burns during kitchen fire

FILE PHOTO
July 25, 2016 - 8:29 AM

KELOWNA - Cooking oil left unattended on a stove left one apartment tenant with minor burns when it caught fire Sunday night.

Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain Kelly Stephens said in a press release firefighters arrived at an apartment on Lake Avenue to find a kitchen fire in a second-floor unit.

Stephens said a resident of the unit and the building manager had already attacked the fire with extinguishers.

Firefighters checked for fire or heat extension in the kitchen cabinets and walls, he added.

One resident received first-degree burns on his hands, Stephens said, and was taken to Kelowna General Hospital. Three other residents escaped without harm.

Fire damage was contained to the kitchen, however there was smoke damage throughout the unit, Stephens said.

The residents were receiving assistance from Emergency Support Services.


To contact a reporter for this story, email John McDonald or call 250-808-0143 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile