Indigenous leaders divided in support for MMIW inquiry's extension request - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Light Snow
3.4°C

Indigenous leaders divided in support for MMIW inquiry's extension request

Grand Chief Sheila North Wilson speaks to media as Derek Nepinak, grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, listens in Winnipeg, Friday, March 18, 2016.> A request for a two-year extension from the national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls is being met with a mixed response from First Nations leaders across Canada. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods
March 07, 2018 - 12:43 PM

OTTAWA - A request for a two-year extension from the national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls is getting a mixed response from First Nations leaders.

Commissioners formally asked the government Tuesday for more time and another $50 million to allow it to finish its work by December 2020.

The Native Women's Association of Canada said it supports the revised timetable, saying more time is necessary for the commission to fulfil its mandate of uncovering the root causes of violence against Indigenous women and girls.

The group's president, Francyne Joe, said the extension will allow the inquiry to hear from survivors and family members who still want to share their stories.

"The inquiry has a great deal of work to do on behalf of Indigenous women and girls," Joe said in a statement.

"Without more time to complete a full array of expert and institutional hearings, the inquiry risks simply replicating existing research."

The association comprises 13 native women's groups from across Canada.

But Grand Chief Sheila North of Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak, a group that represents 30 First Nations in the province's north, said on social media she can't support the extension without changes to the commission's leadership.

"It's not too late to make process more meaningful for #MMIW families/survivors," she posted on Twitter.

North was one of several high-profile chiefs across the country who called for the inquiry's head commissioner Marion Buller to resign in order to reset a process they described as falling apart.

In December, a special gathering of chiefs hosted by the Assembly of First Nations voted to ask the federal government to replace Buller.

The assembly supports extending the inquiry's timeline and anything less would suggest the safety and security of First Nations is no longer a priority, said Chief Denise Stonefish, chair of the organization's women's council.

"If the federal government wants to truly stand with survivors and their families and support the journey toward healing and reconciliation, then it has to extend the national inquiry, while accommodating any changes required to ensure the prevention of violence and the support of all families at risk," she said in an email.

Buller's refusal to resign remains an issue, Stonefish said in a subsequent interview, but the extension is a positive step.

So long as families and survivors remain the central focus, the inquiry will be on the right path, Stonefish added.

Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett confirmed Tuesday she received the commissioners' request and would consider a response after consulting Indigenous partners and her provincial and territorial counterparts.

Buller said Tuesday more time and money is needed to hear from the hundreds of people still waiting to share their stories and the commission's work is a "sacred responsibility."

The inquiry began its work in September 2016 and an extension would nearly double its original $54-million budget and push back the due date for its final report to December 2020.

So far, more than 760 witnesses have testified at nearly 250 hearings across the country and about 630 more have registered to participate.

— Follow @gwomand on Twitter

Note to readers: This a corrected story. An earlier version had the wrong surname for Sheila North

News from © The Canadian Press, 2018
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile