Military looking at helping NB storm victims: Premier says
90-year-old, Laudia Savoie, tries to keep warm in her bed with no heat and no electricity in her home in Pointe-Sapin, NB on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017. The Baie Sainte Anne Fire Department set Savoie up with a generator and a heater after they went door to door to check on residents in the fishing village. Thousands of people in New Brunswick are still without power, days after a winter storm blasted through the region.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Diane Doiron
January 28, 2017 - 1:00 PM
TRACADIE-SHEILA, N.B. - New Brunswick's premier said the Canadian Armed Forces have sent in a "recon team" to see how they can help the recovery effort after an ice storm ravaged parts of the province this week.
Brian Gallant told a news conference in Tracadie Saturday that he spoke to Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale about what support the federal government can provide to help New Brunswickers cope with Wednesday's ice storm.
New Brunswick Power says tens of thousands of residents in the eastern part of the province were still without power Saturday afternoon.
Gallant said the utility hopes to restore power Saturday to 80 per cent of the Acadian Peninsula, where several communities are under states of emergency.
He said the utility predicts that power will be restored to 80 per cent of the Miramichi, and despite setbacks in southeastern New Brunswick, around 99 per cent of residents should have power by the end of Saturday.
Gallant said around 200 volunteers are going door-to-door in the parts of New Brunswick that are without power to check in on residents and remind them of best practices regarding the use of heating equipment.
He said two people have died and seven people are being treated for injuries suspected to be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
RCMP spokesman Paul Greene says the Mounties responded to the deaths of a 62-year-old man at his home in Petite Riviere de l'ile on Lameque Island in the Acadian Peninsula on Thursday night and the death of a 74-year-old woman in her garage in Saint-Leolin, also a small community on the Acadian Peninsula, on Thursday afternoon.
Greene said the man's death was believed to be caused by carbon monoxide from a generator running in the home, while the death of the woman also appeared to be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, though few details were available on Friday night.
Gallant said 46 warming centres are open across the province for residents affected by the outages.
News from © The Canadian Press, 2017