Texan whose husband died by hot tub electrocution at Mexican beach resort files wrongful death suit

MEXICO CITY (AP) — An American tourist was killed and his wife hospitalized after being electrocuted in a hot tub in a Mexican beach town earlier this week, an incident that prompted the family to sue the resort for wrongful death and negligence, their lawyers said Saturday.

The seriously injured woman, 35-year-old Lizette Zambrano, filed the lawsuit seeking $1 million in damages from the U.S.-based resort operators from her hometown of El Paso, Texas, on Friday, days after being medevaced from the hot tub at the resort town of Puerto Peñasco, an hour south of the border.

The Arizona-based defendants, vacation rental provider Casago International and travel company High Desert Travel, did not respond to a request for comment on the suit, which holds them responsible for faulty electric wiring in the jacuzzi that caused the couple's electrocution and 43-year-old Jorge Guillen's death.

On top of failing to prevent and warn guests about the hazards of the hot tub, the resort managers also failed to react quickly enough to the emergency, the claim said.

The tragedy unfolded when Zambrano, her husband Guillen and several other family members arrived at the Sonoran Sea Resort, a complex of high-rise condos, on Tuesday for their vacation, the lawsuit said. Zambrano and Guillen headed to the jacuzzi to watch the sun set over the sea.

They didn't know an electric current was rippling through the hot tub water.

“It's absolutely terrifying,” Tej Paranjpe, attorney at the Houston-based firm PMR law, told The Associated Press on Saturday.

The moment that Guillen dipped his foot inside the jacuzzi, the current zapped him. He tumbled into a direct electric circuit and quickly became trapped underwater.

Zambrano jumped in to rescue her drowning husband, then was jolted by the current and sucked in, too, according to the lawsuit. Cellphone footage from the incident shows the beachfront pool deck descending into chaos as shrieking guests raced over, tried to help the couple, then discovered the danger of the jacuzzi water.

While a guest managed to drag Zambrano out of the water, efforts to retrieve Guillen with poles and various metal tools only unleashed electric shocks on more and more people, the lawsuit said.

“There was not a single staff member that did anything while Jorge was getting continuously shocked again and again underwater,” Paranjpe said.

Ten minutes passed, Zambrano’s lawyers said, until workers at the resort responded to vacationers’ cries for help. The manager eventually succeeded in retrieving Guillen from the bottom of the jacuzzi, but it was too late.

Zambrano was flown by helicopter to Phoenix, Arizona, and was discharged from the hospital on Friday.

Mexican prosecutors in Sonora state reported that investigators were looking into “the origin of the electrical failure" and would conduct field visits in the coming days.

Hot tub electrocution due to faulty underwater lighting and flawed pumps remains rare, but experts warn that vigilance is needed to ensure equipment is properly maintained.

Between 2002 and 2018, the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission reported 47 incidents involving injury or death in hot tubs, pools and spas in the country.


iN RESPONSE: Readers have their say
Following are emailed reader responses to stories or letters to the editor for the third week of July 2024. They have been edited slightly for readability.  Got something you want to add? Send an email to editor Marshall Jones at mjon
British Columbia Premier David Eby, right, gifts a bottle of B.C. wine to Alberta Premier Danielle Smith while speaking to reporters at the Council of the Federation meetings in Halifax on Tuesday, July 16, 2024.
BC and Alberta toast wine deal after tiff over taxing direct sales to consumers
The Alberta-British Columbia wine fight appears to be coming to an end. The premiers of both provinces announced Tuesday a one-year deal to again allow Albertans to direct order wine from more than 300 B.C. wineries in exchange for the Albe
FILE - A worker pulls leaves from the flower of a cannabis plant at Greenlight Dispensary, Oct. 31, 2022, in Grandview, Mo. The Biden administration's push to reclassify marijuana as a less dangerous drug won a strong endorsement Wednesday, July 17, 2024, from Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, who said “the jury is no longer out” on its medical uses as an alternative to opioids that ravaged the Bluegrass State with overdose deaths.
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear endorses federal effort to reclassify marijuana as a less dangerous drug
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — The Biden administration's push to reclassify marijuana as a less dangerous drug won an endorsement Wednesday from Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, who said “the jury is no longer out” on its medical uses as
Hadgraft Wilson Place is visible on the right side of the photo, next to the UBCO construction site.
Evacuated resident unable to collect belongings after UBCO tower debacle
Steven Wolfe had to evacuate his home because of the UBC Okanagan downtown construction project in April, and he still hasn’t been able to collect all of his belongings from his apartment. Wolfe was a resident of Hadgraft Wilson Place

Top News