Lots of moisture along with mild temperatures forecast for Kamloops | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Kamloops News

Lots of moisture along with mild temperatures forecast for Kamloops

January 02, 2020 - 12:20 PM

With a winter storm on its way to the southern Interior fuelled by a Pineapple Express, you can expect snow, rain and unseasonably mild temperatures heading into the weekend in Kamloops.

Environment Canada meteorologist Bobby Sekhon says rising temperatures along with strengthening winds are expected in Kamloops.

Sekhon says temperatures could reach a balmy 10 C above seasonal normals tomorrow, Jan. 3, with a high of 9 C expected in Kamloops thanks to a Pineapple Express.

“We have an influx of warm, tropical air from just north of Hawaii, resulting in rainfall warnings on the coast and some inland areas. There’s lots of moisture on the way,” he says.

A special weather statement issued by Environment Canada warns of an approaching winter storm that will give widespread snow into the Interior this evening which should end in the Okanagan and Kamloops by tomorrow morning.

“Keep an eye on DriveBC for higher elevation conditions,” Sekhon says.

The weather office is calling for mainly cloudy skies in Kamloops today, Jan. 2, with a 40 per cent chance of flurries as the temperature remains steady around 0 Celsius.

It will be cloud tonight with snow beginning early this evening and ending after midnight. You can two to four centimetres of snow locally with five centimetres over high terrain. The wind will become east at 20 km/h gusting to 40 this evening. The temperature is expected to rise to 5 C by tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow should be cloudy initially, giving way to a mix of sun and cloud with east winds continuing along with a high of 9 C and a low of 7 C.

Saturday should see a mix of sun and cloud with a 40 per cent chance of showers and a high of 7 C. Overnight, you can expect cloudy periods and a 60 per cent chance of showers with a low of 1 C.

Cloudy skies are forecast for Sunday along with a 60 per cent chance of flurries and a high of 4 C. Temperatures are expected to cool off to -4 C along with cloudy periods on Sunday night.

Monday should see increasing cloudiness and a high to 2 C followed by cloudy skies overnight with a low to -2 C.

Cloudy skies are expected to extend into Tuesday with a high of 1 C and allow of -4 C.

A mix of sun and cloud is expected Wednesday with a high of -1 C.

Normal temperatures for this time of year in Kamloops are highs of -1 C and lows of -8 C.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2020

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile