Kamloops man sues RCMP officers, claims use of excessive force | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
1.5°C

Kelowna News

Kamloops man sues RCMP officers, claims use of excessive force

October 10, 2020 - 9:35 AM

A Kamloops man is suing police officers claiming they used excessive force when he was arrested in June.

On Oct. 7, a lawsuit was filed against Const. Sukhdeep Toor, Const. Chris Squire and four other unnamed officers as well as the attorney general and minister of public safety.

Kamloops resident Alexander Joseph MacMain claims he was allegedly assaulted by Toor and Squires when he was arrested in his apartment for allegedly causing mischief on June 16, 2019, according to the court documents.

He claims he was later assaulted again at the police detachment by four other unnamed officers while being processed at the detachment and when in his cell, according to the court documents.

“The aforesaid assaults were either intentional or were caused or contributed to by the negligence of the defendants,” according to the court documents.

“The use of force was excessive.”

MacMain was initially charged with mischief and resisting arrest, but both charges were dropped when MacMain took responsibility for his actions and completed the requirements of the extra-judicial measures, according to the court documents.

The suit claims the RCMP failed to adequately train the officers in the reasonable use of force and that the officers failed to follow RCMP use of force policy during the arrest and detention of MacMain.

As a result of the alleged assaults, MacMain claims he sustained migraine headaches, cuts, tendon damage in his left arm, left rib and right hip pain, injury to his knees, scarring on both knees, nerve damage and left shoulder pain.

MacMain is seeking general damages, special damages, exemplary damages, punitive damages, constitutional damages, and costs.

None of these allegations have been proven in court.

"We are looking into this matter but don't expect we would be able to respond until Tuesday," said Deborah Skaey, with the BC RCMP communication services, via email.

A police officer that was previously named in the suit has been removed, according to lawyer Matthew Ford.

"Const. Chad Inglis was erroneously named as a defendant and (we) have since discontinued against him," Ford said in an email. A notice of discontinuance has been filed.

— This story was updated at 2:34 p.m. Oct. 27, 2020 to say Const. Chad Inglis had been removed from the lawsuit.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Carli Berry or call 250-864-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2020
iNFOnews

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile