Freezing rain, warm temperatures in forecast | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Kamloops News

Freezing rain, warm temperatures in forecast

Snow is melting even at higher elevations as temperatures continue to climb this week.
Image Credit: Drive B.C. webcam
December 08, 2014 - 9:27 AM

THOMPSON-OKANAGAN - After more than a week of below normal temperatures we finally climbed above 0 Celsius this weekend, and temperatures will continue to warm up over the next few days.

Over the past 10 days we went from a heavy snowfall to well below normal temperatures and then this weekend to a couple days of freezing rain. Environment Canada is forecasting freezing rain in some areas again today but will become just showers as temperatures climb over the day.

Today brings highs of 2-5 C throughout the region, with at least a chance of rain or flurries this morning and then showers overnight. People in the Okanagan can expect to see rain for much of the week while Kamloops has a 60 per cent chance of showers on Thursday and a 40 per cent chance on Friday.

In Kamloops temperatures will reach 11 C on Tuesday and will stay in the 7-10 C much of the week while the rest of the region can expect temperatures in the range of 4-10 C. The entire region is forecast to stay above 0 C for the entire week, even overnight.

Seasonal normal temperatures in Vernon, Kelowna and Penticton are a high of 0 C and low of -4 C while Kamloops normally reaches 1 C during the day and -6 C overnight.

On the Southern Interior highways a chance of freezing rain is expected today with a bit of wet snow forecast overnight. Drive B.C. is currently reporting compact snow or slushy sections in several areas. At most highway weather stations the amount of snow on the ground has decreased over the past week and will likely continue the downward trend as temperatures continue to climb.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at or call 250-819-3723.

News from © iNFOnews, 2014

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile