First day of spring brings spring-like weather to Okanagan - InfoNews

Current Conditions

10.7°C

First day of spring brings spring-like weather to Okanagan

Today is the first day of spring, and it looks like the Okanagan will see some spring-like weather conditions over the next few days.
March 19, 2020 - 11:53 AM

The next few days offer a chance for Okanagan residents to enjoy a bit of early spring weather, which begins today.

Spring arrives at 8:49 p.m. today, March 19, the earliest astronomical spring in 124 years.

"Whenever we have a leap year, the astronomical date jumps back three quarters of a day,” Environment Canada meteorologist Doug Lundquist says.

"It has nothing to do with meteorology, as we consider the first day of spring to be March 1, but it is the day when the sun crosses the equator and, relatively speaking night equals day,” he says.

The last couple of weeks of slightly cooler temperatures should continue for the next few days, Lundquist says, with cooler nights and daytime highs slightly above or below seasonal norms.

“We’re in a spring pattern, but over the next week or two it should remain a little above or below average, pretty typical for this time of year,” he says.

Lundquist says any overnight precipitation could bring showers or flurries this time of year.

“It’s good to get outside if we can and get some sunlight, with a reminder the sun is strong enough to cause sunburn already,” Lundquist says.

Vitamin D is something proven to be healthy to people, so my message is to get outside if you can while maintaining social distancing,” he says.

There is sunshine in the forecast for today through Sunday, with the possibility of periods of rain on Saturday night.

The high today should reach 11 Celsius, with highs of 12 C and 10 C Friday and Saturday, and lows of -3 C and 1 C.

Penticton’s high should reach 12 C today and 13 C Friday.

Sunday’s sunshine comes with a slight cool down with a high of 10 C and a low of 0 C expected, along with a 40 per cent chance of showers or flurries overnight.

A disturbance crossing the region brings with it cloudy skies on Monday, with a 60 per cent chance of showers beginning Monday night, dropping to 40 per cent on Tuesday.

A mix of sun and cloud is expected to return Wednesday with a high of 11 C.

Normal temperatures this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 10 C and lows of -1 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2020
iNFOnews

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile