Firefighters snuff out two structure fires Sunday - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
3.9°C

Firefighters snuff out two structure fires Sunday

Vernon Fire Department
September 08, 2014 - 11:47 AM

VERNON - Vernon firefighters responded to two structure fires within hours of each other Sunday.

Deputy fire chief Jack Blair says the first call came in around noon from a home on Peregrine Way.

“There appeared to have been a discarded, smoking material in a potted plant on a patio,” Blair says.

Fortunately, the fire was put out in short order with little to no damage to the residence. The close-call is a caution and a reminder that while the dry months of summer are drawing to a close, it’s important to discard of cigarettes and other burning materials safely year round, Blair says.

Hours later, around 6 p.m., crews were called out to the Vernon Jazz Club above Nolan’s Pharmasave on 30 Avenue for another reported structure fire.

Firefighters arrived to a smoldering pile of wood and other material in the building, believed to have caught fire due to an electrical short circuit in a wall outlet.

Crews made quick work of the fire, ripping open the wall to ensure all hotspots were put out. 

“Fortunately both these (incidents) were noticed in time and people were quick to alert 911,” Blair says.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston at chelston@infotelnews.ca or call 250-309-5230. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile