Firefighters snuff out kitchen fire in Kelowna home

Image Credit: FILE PHOTO

KELOWNA - Four residents and their pets can't return home after a fire broke out in their kitchen around noon. 

Firefighters responded to a 911 call to house in the 700 block of Stremel Road at about 1:15 p.m. today, Nov. 14.

According to a release from Platoon Captain Steve Wallick, a hot plate was accidentally turned on close to combustible materials.

"Occupants were home at the time and managed to subdue the flames with a dry chemical extinguisher and exit the building safely before crews arrived," Wallick says in the release.

Fifteen firefighters responded with three engines, one rescue truck and a command vehicle. Emergency crews responded as well.

Wallick says the damage is moderate and the electricity was disconnected as a safety precaution.

The residents, two adults, two children and pets are currently displaced and in the care of emergency services.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


don-thompson
THOMPSON: The Grand Semi-Annual Adventure
  OPINION It’s mid-October. Major League Baseball’s World Series is just over a week away. The CFL season is almost wrapped up. NCAA football and the NFL are almost half way through their seasons. Kids are g

Top News