Firefighters rush to reported pump house fire
A small grassfire was ignited when a bird hit a power line north of Westsyde Road July 8, 2014.
(JENNIFER STAHN / iNFOnews.ca)
July 08, 2014 - 5:18 PM
KAMLOOPS - A report of an explosion at the Noble Creek Pumphouse north of Westsyde turned out to be a grassfire caused by a bird hitting a power line.
The call came in at 1:38 p.m. and Kamloops firefighter Steve Kilmartin says trucks from two halls responded. When it was apparent it wasn't a structure fire at 6305 River Access Road but a grass fire, B.C. Forestry was also called. The fire was contained at about a quarter of an acre and the pumphouse was not affected.
City staff on scene say a farmer working nearby heard a loud bang and thought it was an explosion. After investigating, staff say they came upon the charred remains of a bird, likely a turkey vulture judging by the size and shape and the three turkey vultures circling the area.
B.C. Hydro came to inspect for damage, but any problems were quickly remedied and no homes were without power.
B.C. Forestry and firefighters are currently mopping up with trucks running back and forth along the one-lane dirt road to fill up at fire hydrants along the main road.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014