Calgary Stampeders top Hamilton Tiger-Cats 31-20 for first road win of season | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Calgary Stampeders top Hamilton Tiger-Cats 31-20 for first road win of season

Calgary Stampeders' Jon Cornish is tackled by Hamilton Tiger Cats' Ronnell Brown during second half CFL action at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, Ontario, Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Geoff Robins

HAMILTON - Quarterback Kevin Glenn returned to his old stomping grounds Thursday night to help the Calgary Stampeders earn their first road win of the season with a 31-20 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at a rain-soaked Ivor Wynne Stadium.

Jon Cornish powered the Ticats with 171 rushing yards and a touchdown while catching six passes for 47 more yards. Bo Levi Mitchell, Romby Bryant and Nik Lewis also scored TDs for Calgary.

Chevon Walker scored twice for Hamilton, one from a 21-yard reception TD and another off a 47-yard rush.

Calgary kicker Rene Paredes hit his lone field goal from 25 yards. Hamilton kicker Luca Congi hit both field goal attempts, from 43 and 22 yards.

Calgary improves to 3-3 with its first road win of the season while Hamilton falls to 3-3.

The game featured the first meeting between Calgary’s Glenn and Hamilton QB Henry Burris since they were traded for each other in the before the season.

Calgary took its first lead of the game in the third quarter when a 69-yard drive, aided by a roughing-the-passer penalty against the Ticats, ended with a one-yard TD run by short-yardage quarterback Malik Jackson put them up 17-13.

Hamilton answered with an 85-yard drive, punctuated by a 47-yard TD run by Walker and the Ticats regained a three-point lead as time expired in the third.

It didn’t last long. Glenn led a 58-yard drive and handed the ball to Bryant for an easy end run and eight-yard score for the 24-20 lead early in the fourth. Calgary pulled away midway through the fourth, driving 62 yards and ending with an eight-yard TD pass from Glenn to Lewis and the 31-20 lead.

The Stamps were then able to run down the clock, keeping ball possession for 5:17 and driving 75 yards before Cornish fumbled and Hamilton recovered the ball on their own three-yard line with 51 seconds left. But it was too little too late.

In an early downpour, there was no scoring in the first quarter and only four first downs in the first quarter.

As the rain dried up in the second, the Ticats drew first when Burris guiding a 64-yard drive, aided by three Calgary penalties, that ended with a 21-yard touchdown strike to Walker.

But Calgary tied it when a 42-yard punt return to the Hamilton 21 by Calgary’s Larry Taylor set up Cornish’s 21-yard run into the endzone on the next play from scrimmage.

A 43-yard field goal by Congi with 1:38 left in the quarter made it 10-7 for the Ticats heading into halftime.

Early in the third, Hamilton’s Chris Williams couldn’t haul in a punt at his own 18-yard line and Jackson recovered the fumbled ball. But Glenn’s offence couldn’t convert in the red zone and Parades tied the game with a 25-yard field goal.

On Hamilton’s next possession, the Ticats drove to a first-and-10 on the Calgary 11-yard line, but also couldn’t convert, and Congi hit a field goal from 22 yards to grab the lead.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2012
The Canadian Press

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile