Turkey presses ahead with crackdown on Gulen network
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, front, and Senegal's President Macky Sall speak during a joint news conference after talks in Dakar, Thursday, March 1, 2018. Erdogan is in Senegal for a two-day visit aimed at boosting the political and economic cooperation between the two countries.(Kayhan Ozer/Pool Photo via AP)
March 02, 2018 - 2:58 AM
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's state-run news agency says prosecutors have issued warrants for the detention of more than 150 military officers, teachers and trade unionists, as authorities press ahead with a clampdown against a network led by U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.
Anadolu Agency said Friday that detention warrants were issued for 16 navy officers — all of whom were later taken into custody. Seven were on active duty, while nine had been previously discharged.
Separately, Anadolu reported that 66 dismissed teachers and 72 members of a trade union were also ordered detained.
Turkey accuses Gulen of masterminding a military coup attempt in July 2016. Gulen denies the accusation.
Turkey launched a massive crackdown after the coup, resulting in about 50,000 arrests and the dismissal of more than 110,000 people from state jobs.
News from © The Associated Press, 2018