Curious dog gets unexpected high during Kamloops family camp out

KAMLOOPS - What may sound like the premise for a drug culture comedy is no laughing matter for Barb Alonzo.

The resident of Kamloops says she and her family were camping recently at nearby Roche Lake when she noticed Boone, the family's Weimaraner, acting strangely.

The large, short-haired dog was lethargic and seemed to be disoriented.

Kamloops veterinarian Bruce Maricle says the dog had likely eaten marijuana butts left by previous campers.

Boone could barely stand and, after several hours, began to shake violently but Alonzo says he was back to normal within a few days.

Maricle notes cases of marijuana toxicity can be fatal to small dogs.

He says unlike cigarette butts, which are mostly ignored by dogs, man's best friend seems to like pot because cases of poisoned pets are climbing.


don-thompson
THOMPSON: Facts, not opinions, will bring Trump presidency to an end
  OPINION We’ve all seen it…or experienced it when we were little kids. The times you’re caught red handed…obviously guilty of something…and then you tell an obvious lie to try and cover

Top News