Convicted Kamloops gangland murderer appealing life sentence | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy  22.4°C

Kamloops News

Convicted Kamloops gangland murderer appealing life sentence

Hugh McIntosh was found guilty in 2021 of first-degree murder and attempted murder.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED/RCMP

A man serving a life sentence for a first-degree murder in Kamloops is appealing his conviction this week.

Hugh Alexander McIntosh, born in 1968, was one of two men who showed up to a Brocklehurst home in 2019 looking to settle a drug debt. He was found guilty of the first-degree murder of Jason Glover and attempted murder of Kelly Callfas.

McIntosh is aiming to overturn that first-degree murder conviction during a two-day BC Court of Appeal hearing which got underway, Jan. 30. 

READ MORE: BC Housing spent $74M in Kamloops last year

McIntosh was sentenced in 2021 after a month-long jury trial and is expected to spend 25 years behind bars before he's eligible for parole.

In February 2019, McIntosh and Gordon Braaten were looking for Callfas, who owed money to her supplier. She said she had been robbed earlier that month, but Braaten didn't believe her when she told them she didn't know who took $20,000 from her.

Her supplier, who was named as JD in court, was owed $12,000 of that and wanted the money.

The pair showed up at the townhouse on Feb. 15. and McIntosh was carrying the gun. Court heard they planned to intimidate Callfas. Her roommate Glover wasn't involved in her drug dealing, but he would later take a fatal gunshot to the head.

READ MORE: Charges expected in crash that killed TRU athlete

They met in a basement bedroom of the home where McIntosh fired multiple shots.

Callfas was hit six times as she sat on her bed, taking at least one bullet to her face. Glover was shot in the back of the head and later died in hospital.

Braaten was sentenced to seven years in prison for manslaughter. He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in May 2021. Although he didn't pull the trigger, it was Braaten who was working on JD's behalf to enforce the debt. Without him, Callfas and Glover likely would not have been shot that day.

McIntosh's appeal, which is scheduled for two days in BC's highest court, is set to conclude, Jan. 31.

It's not clear when the court will render it's decision.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Levi Landry or call 250-819-3723 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. SUBSCRIBE to our awesome newsletter here.

News from © iNFOnews, 2024
iNFOnews

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Anti-mask protest held at Kelowna mall
    Roughly 60 to 70 anti-mask protesters were spotted at Orchard Park Shopping Centre in Kelowna this afternoon. An employee at a store in the mall, who declined to be named, said the group of
  • Why you can’t manage rentals in B.C. without a license
    Kathy Bakker was simply providing a service. The Kamloops woman had worked for a property manager before and knew the ropes, so when she left the company, she had the know-how to do the job.
  • Mammoth-sized marmot spotted in Kamloops park
    Kamloops resident Taylor Borth was exploring a park in Kamloops with her camera over the weekend and came upon the fattest marmot she has ever seen.  “When I rounded the corner an
  • DO NOT TOUCH: Blister beetles showing up in Kamloops, Okanagan gardens
    Gardeners in Kamloops and the Okanagan are busy protecting their garlic and chives from a voracious little beetle this spring.  Cathy Holland of Kamloops found numerous beetles in her p
  • Afroman to pay $65K in lawsuit filed by woman he punched
    BILOXI, Miss. - Musician and rapper Afroman has agreed to pay $65,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a woman he punched during a 2015 Mississippi performance. The Sun Herald reports a judgment
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile