Police: Carbon monoxide killed 3 tourists at Bahamas resort

Original Publication Date June 28, 2022 - 3:21 PM

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Carbon monoxide poisoning killed three U.S. tourists found dead at a resort in the Bahamas in May, police announced Tuesday.

Authorities did not provide further details, saying the deaths were still under investigation.

The victims had been identified as Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee; and Vincent Chiarella, 64, from Florida.

Chiarella’s wife, Donnis Chiarella, 65, was found alive and airlifted to New Providence for medical treatment, then transferred to a hospital in Florida. Her condition was not immediately known.

The couples were staying in separate villas next to each other in the same building at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort on the island of Exuma. It was not clear if the villas had carbon monoxide detectors and if they did, whether they were working.

Police have said that all four tourists went to a doctor the night before their bodies were discovered and had complained of feeling ill.

In a statement issued a month ago, Sandals said the deaths were “in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services or foul play.”

It was not clear what was the source of carbon monoxide that killed the tourists. A Sandals spokeswoman referred all questions to police, while Bahamian police spokesman Audley Peters said he was not able to provide the information “at this time” and did not respond to further questions.

Sandals said that carbon monoxide detectors have since been installed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay, and will be installed in all guest rooms elsewhere.

“We have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across the resort,” the company said.

The deaths come seven years after a Delaware family became seriously ill at a resort in the U.S. Virgin Islands. U.S. authorities determined that methyl bromide, a highly toxic pesticide banned for indoor residential use in 1984, was to blame and had been used at that resort several times.


UBCO students, Hellen and Elis surverying cyclists at the UBCO exit on the Okanagan Rail Trail.
Driverless bus could become part of the Rail Trail in Kelowna
A joint UBCO-City of Kelowna study on transit options for the Okanagan Rail Trail through the city is stopping users to get their thoughts. “The need from the city was to explore the opportunity for this corridor, that is available to
Facebook/Gurdwara Guru Amardas Sikh Society wants to relocate to a larger site that will have an agricultural component.
New Kelowna Sikh temple looking to grow food for the needy
A relocated and expanded Gurdwara, or Sikh temple, will include gardens to feed the needy and train people going through difficult times. The Gurdwara Guru Amardas Sikh Society has applied to the City of Kelowna to rezone land near Benvouli
A vendor trims marijuana with scissors during the annual 4-20 cannabis culture celebration at Sunset Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday, April 20, 2017. Canada’s financial intelligence agency says a wide range of businesses – from food wholesalers to electronics repair services – have been used to disguise the proceeds of illicit cannabis operations.
Front companies being used to launder illicit cannabis cash: intelligence agency
OTTAWA - Canada’s financial intelligence agency says a wide range of businesses — from food wholesalers to electronics repair services — are being used to disguise the proceeds of illicit cannabis operations. In a new oper
Artist rendering of proposed housing development on the Ponderosa Lands in upper Peachland.
Peachland golf course project comes with hundreds of homes
More than a decade after first being approved, work is expected to start next year on a new golf course and up to 500 homes on what’s known as the Ponderosa lands in upper Peachland. In 2011, a plan for those lands was approved by the

Top News