Current Conditions

Partly Cloudy
6.2°C

UPDATE: Hot ashes likely cause of Kaleden garage fire

Kaleden firefighter Jack Mercer at the scene of a garage fire on Lakehill Road this Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.
February 24, 2017 - 2:01 PM

KALEDEN – A spectacular garage fire in Kaleden this morning may have been sparked by hot ashes.

Kaleden Volunteer Fire Department chief Darlene Bailey says it appears the blaze, which completely destroyed a large garage, began when hot ashes from a fireplace were left unattended in a container inside.

Several explosions could be heard when the garage at a home in the 200 block of Lakehill Road in Kaleden burst into flames at about 8:50 a.m., Feb. 24. The garage was engulfed in flames when Kaleden volunteer fire crews arrived on the scene.

Firefighters were able to save the nearby house but the garage and its contents are a total loss.

The homeowner, who did not wish to give her name, said a car and a motorcycle were lost to the flames. The garage also contained a workshop and greenhouse.

Bailey cautioned residents using wood heat in their homes to be careful when discarding ashes.

"Never leave them in a building and always use a metal container to collect them," she says, adding storage of collected ashes should be kept as far away from buildings as possible.

Kaleden firefighters battle a garage fire on Lakehill Road in Kaleden, Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.
Kaleden firefighters battle a garage fire on Lakehill Road in Kaleden, Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.

Kayla Chappell submitted this photo of the garage fire in Kaleden on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.
Kayla Chappell submitted this photo of the garage fire in Kaleden on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Kayla Chappell

Kayla Chappell submitted this photo of the garage fire in Kaleden on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.
Kayla Chappell submitted this photo of the garage fire in Kaleden on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Kayla Chappell

— This story was updated at 10 a.m. and again at 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24, 2017 to provide further details about the fire.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile