B.C. SPCA expands services in Kamloops, Okanagan for flood evacuated pets | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Cloudy  -2.2°C

Kamloops News

B.C. SPCA expands services in Kamloops, Okanagan for flood evacuated pets

B.C. SPCA is assisting evacuated pet guardians with pet care, supplies and shelter in the southern Interior.

Some organizations are working to provide care for evacuees and their pets in the wake of severe rainfall and flooding Nov.15, which put several communities under water including Abbotsford, Princeton and Merritt.

The B.C. SPCA has begun emergency boarding for their pets at the Kamloops location, and are asking for donations, according to a media release from the organization.

“We are providing supplies and pet food for those who have been displaced,” said Geoff Urton of the BC SPCA, in the release. “Shelter animals are being transferred out of the Kamloops facility into other SPCA locations in the Okanagan to make more room for emergency boarding of incoming pets.”

The organization is working to provide evacuees with pet food, crates and other urgent supplies for their animals through Emergency Support Services centres as they are set-up.

The organization has provided emergency boarding for displaced pets in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Langley and Cowichan, with officers standing by to assist emergency services as directed in the Fraser Valley.

Due to recent flooding and evacuation orders, the Abbotsford B.C. SPCA is closed and all animals have been relocated to safe shelter locations.

You can donate toward emergency supplies, shelter and health checks here.

“This gift will provide emergency care for an animal and peace of mind for their human,” the organization said.

Any pet guardian needing emergency boarding or other assistance is asked to call the B.C. SPCA Call Centre at 1-855-622-7722 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. After hours contact the closest ESS centre at 1-800-585-9559.

For after hour assistance or for anyone in the province impacted by flooding, contact the ESS Call Centre toll free at 1-800-585-9559.

Any agriculture producer who is impacted by flooding should contact their local authority or First Nation for the geographic area they reside in, or the Regional District Okanagan Similkameen emergency operations centre here.

To reach the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Emergency Operations Centre call 1-866-377-7188 or email at emergency@tnrd.ca.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Shannon Ainslie or call 250-819-6089 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2021

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile