The owner of a popular restaurant catering to truck drivers is concerned about what the summer will bring as plans move ahead to re-open B.C.’s economy.
Lisa Smith, owner of Lisa’s Lake House Seafood & Spirits in Christina Lake, opened her take-out window to truckers and other essential workers as a way to “keep the lights going” after she realized she had the perfect driveway for the truckers.
Word started to spread that truck drivers were having difficulties finding meals after the province ordered restaurants and bars to close in March.
Since then, she’s become a trucker celebrity, featured in various Facebook groups, interviewed by national media outlets and has developed a strong relationship with the B.C. truck drivers.
“Trucking companies from all over B.C. and Alberta were calling me to thank me,” she said, adding that truckers will still honk as they drive past. “Some people in the community had these signs made (thanking truckers and essential workers.)”
Originally, the restaurant was used a location for truckers to get take-out, use the bathroom and even park overnight. At the end of April, Smith re-opened her take-out window to the public and was able to hire two additional staff members after running the restaurant by herself and with another staff member for a few weeks.
READ MORE: Okanagan florists busy during pandemic, some busier than ever
“I was really happy with my decision,” she said.
However, she’s concerned about what the summer will bring, as the restaurant is already handling as much as it can following physical distancing guidelines.
“(Keeping busy) is not the problem, I have regular truckers now. That post got shared right across Canada, they are a huge community,” she said. “We wouldn’t be able to operate without truckers.”
“I’m scared because the population will increase, they’ve told people not to go to small communities, it’s already here,” she said.
Pre-COVID-19, they usually operate with about 10 staff members during the summer season. “Reopening scares the life out of me,” she said.
READ MORE: Enderby Starlight Drive-In sells out entire opening week
“My decisions are based on safety and not money right now,” she said. “The restaurants are busier than hell already and it’s not even summer… half the restaurants are closed and now that things are loosening up a little, we’re too busy already with the staff we can get.”
“I refuse to put myself in risk, and danger of opening my restaurant too soon… we feel safe with the takeout and I think that’s my number one priority,” she said.
Plans will be unveiled on Tuesday detailing steps the B.C. government will take to re-open the economy.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Carli Berry or call 250-864-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.