Papua New Guinea quake death toll at 55 as aftershock hits - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Light Snow
-0.4°C

Papua New Guinea quake death toll at 55 as aftershock hits

FILE - This file image made from video provided Feb. 28, 2018, show the damaged building following an earthquake in Mendi, Papua New Guinea. At least 55 people have been confirmed dead and authorities fear the toll could exceed 100 from last week's powerful earthquake in Papua New Guinea, as survivors faced more shaking early Wednesday,March 7, 2018 from the strongest aftershock so far. (Australia Broadcasting Corporation via AP, File)
March 07, 2018 - 2:44 AM

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A powerful earthquake that struck Papua New Guinea last week has left at least 55 people dead and authorities fear the toll could exceed 100, as survivors faced more shaking early Wednesday from the strongest aftershock so far.

Southern Highlands Governor William Powi said people were feeling traumatized from the disaster and ongoing aftershocks. The latest large temblor was a magnitude 6.7 quake that struck just after midnight Tuesday.

It was the strongest shake since the Feb. 26 deadly magnitude 7.5 quake that destroyed homes, triggered landslides and halted work at four oil and gas fields.

The central region where last week's quake struck is remote and undeveloped, and assessments about the scale of the damage and injuries have been slow to filter out. Powi said he didn't know if the latest aftershock had caused more injuries or damage, but he said it had added to the distress people were feeling.

"It is beyond the capacity of the provincial government to cope with the magnitude of destruction and devastation," he said. "Our people are traumatized and finding it difficult to cope."

Powi said provincial authorities were trying to prioritize the greatest needs by getting people with severe injuries to medical centres and providing water and medicine. He said help from abroad and from local aid agencies was slowly coming in.

"It's a mammoth task. Most of the feeder roads are washed away or covered with landslips," he said. "People's livelihoods are devastated, their personal property is gone."

Powi said 39 people died in his province after families were crushed by their collapsing homes or buried by landslides during last week's earthquake. He said death reports were still coming in from remote places, and he feared the death toll would rise to over 100.

A spokeswoman at the National Disaster Centre said the official death toll is currently estimated at between 55 and 75, although they don't yet have firm numbers.

The U.S. Geological Survey said Wednesday's quake was centred 112 kilometres (70 miles) southwest of Porgera at a shallow depth of 10 kilometres (6 miles). Ten aftershocks in the hours since ranged between magnitude 4.7 and 5.2.

Papua New Guinea is home to 7 million people on the eastern half of the island of New Guinea, to the east of Indonesia. It sits on the Pacific's "Ring of Fire," the arc of seismic faults around the Pacific Ocean where most of the world's earthquakes and volcanic activity occur.

News from © The Associated Press, 2018
The Associated Press

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile