Accused killer's refusal to sign probation order was a 'message': group - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
3.0°C

Accused killer's refusal to sign probation order was a 'message': group

Basil Borutski arrives in a police vehicle for an appearance at the courthouse in Pembroke, Ont., on September 23, 2015. Alarm bells should have gone off when the man now accused of killing three ex-girlfriends refused to sign a probation order last year prohibiting him from contacting one of them or coming within 200 metres of her, a women's rights group said Friday.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
September 27, 2015 - 8:30 AM

Alarm bells should have gone off when the man now accused of killing three ex-girlfriends refused to sign a probation order last year prohibiting him from contacting one of them or coming within 200 metres of her, a women's rights group said Friday.

Amanda Dale, executive director of the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, said Basil Borutski's decision should have been cause for concern.

"It's a pretty pointed refusal and we know that if people have understood and digested the risk factors in domestic violence, it would have been a huge red flag," she said.

"He was giving somebody a message and the message wasn't properly interpreted."

A refusal to sign the order doesn't mean it lacks the weight of the law, and such probation orders take effect immediately, regardless of whether offenders sign them.

Dan Brown, a Toronto criminal defence lawyer, said the revelation about Borutski, charged Wednesday with three counts of first-degree murder, doesn't raise any particular red flags for him.

He said a signature is little more than an acknowledgment that the offender read the order.

"The order becomes valid when it's imposed on him. It's not a question for him to agree or disagree with it," Brown said.

Borutski is accused in the deaths of 36-year-old realtor Anastasia Kuzyk, Nathalie Warmerdam, 48, and Carol Culleton, 66. He appeared in court earlier this week to face the allegations and was ordered held in custody until his next court appearance Oct. 5.

The bodies of the three women were found within hours of one another on Tuesday in a usually sleepy area of the Ottawa Valley about 180 kilometres west of Ottawa.

Borutski, 57, went to jail in 2014 after being convicted of assaulting Kuzyk in December 2013. He was released last December, and placed on two years' probation.

The terms of that probation required him to stay away from her and not to contact her, according to media reports. But Borutski didn't sign it.

A candlelight vigil was held Friday evening in the town of Wilno, close to where Kuzyk's body was discovered.

A sombre crowd filled a park across from the tavern where Kuzyk worked, with a few wiping their eyes as friends paid tribute to the women. Flowers were then laid in a makeshift memorial.

News from © The Canadian Press , 2015
The Canadian Press

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments
  • UPDATE: Missing Vernon woman found
    UPDATE: 9:26 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018 VERNON - RCMP says a missing 39-year-old Vernon woman reported missing yesterday, Jan. 19, has been located and she is safe and sound. All p
  • Can U.S. border guards search your phone? Yes, and here are some details on how
    WASHINGTON - In one of several testy exchanges during a U.S. Senate hearing this week, the country's secretary of homeland security was pressed to explain a new policy that allows customs agen
  • UPDATE: High profile Vernon homeless camp dismantled
    "THERE'S NOWHERE IN VERNON WE'RE ALLOWED TO CAMP" VERNON - Several homeless people in a makeshift camp near a busy highway intersection are going to have to find somewher
  • UPDATE: More snow on the way for Coquihalla Highway
    After a dump of snow on the Coquihalla Highway overnight, the heavy snowfall is expected to resume tonight. Drivers heading to and from the Lower Mainland will get a break today, Jan. 20, wi
  • Vernon RCMP looking for missing young woman
    VERNON - Police in the North Okanagan are asking for the public's help in finding a missing woman. Suzie Clark, 20, was last seen yesterday, Jan. 18. Vernon North Okanagan RCMP spokesper
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile