Worker taken to hospital following dryer fire at Kelowna retirement home

Image Credit: Shutterstock

KELOWNA - Nearly 40 people were evacuated and one taken to hospital following an early morning fire at a retirement home on Casorso Road.

Fire crews responded to alarms at White Heather Manor around 1:50 a.m., Jan. 6, to find employees evacuating 39 residents, according to Platoon Capt. Tim Light.

Firefighters were told the fire started in a dryer in the laundry room and crews were able to extinguish it, limiting damage to the one machine.

None of the residents were injured but one worker was taken to hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation.

 

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infonews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


becky-mann
MANN: When things happen you just can't explain
  OPINION Last week I bought a second-hand copy of Eat Pray Love . Nothing extra special about buying a book, but it is the series of events (buying the book included in that series) that has me puzzled. Eat Pra

Top News