What's happening this fall in the 'Loops
November 19, 2014 - 12:57 PM
‘Families in Parks’
Help celebrate the 40th anniversary of our fantastic Central Okanagan regional park system by joining our ‘Families in Parks’ this fall.
- Saturday, Nov. 1 from 10 to 11:30 a.m., you’re invited to take part in the ‘Ghost Walk’ at Gellatly Heritage Regional Park on Gellatly Road in West Kelowna. Our park interpreter will share stories and history of the pioneers buried in the Gellatly family cemetery. Pre-registration is required. Please contact the Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan, email email@example.com or phone 250-469-6139.
- Saturday, December 13th from 10:00 am to 11:30 am, you’re invited to take part in the ‘Greening the Season’ at Mission Creek Regional Park at Springfield and Durnin Roads in Kelowna. Join our interpreter for a winter walk and learn about what animals do when winter comes. That’s followed by some eco-friendly holiday crafting and of course hot chocolate! It’s the perfect way for your family to start your holiday season. Pre-registration is required. Please contact the Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 250-469-6139.
For more information about this or other Regional Park programs please visit the Regional District website regionaldistrict.com/parksevents or contact the EECO at 250-469-6140.
Start date: Immediate
End date: Wednesday, Dec. 24
‘Un-Bee-lievable Bees’ at the EECO
There’s a ‘hive’ of activity underway inside the Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan.
‘Catch the buzz’ at our new ‘Un-Bee-lievable Bees’ exhibit. When you visit you’ll discover the answers to why bees are important; the relationship between bees and plants; how honey is made and what factors are leading to the decline in the bee population. You’ll also find out what you can do to help protect bees and the health of our ecosystems.
The EECO is located in Mission Creek Regional Park (Springfield and Durnin Roads). The Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information visit the Regional District website regionaldistrict.com/parks or contact the EECO at 250-469-6140, email email@example.com or drop into the Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan in Mission Creek Regional Park, Springfield and Durnin Roads.
Start date: Immediate
End date: Tuesday, Dec. 16 – 9 a.m.
‘Story Time at the EECO’
Little ones will love ‘Story Time at the EECO’. It’s a free weekly one-hour drop-in program for children aged three to five and their caregivers.
It features nature-themed stories and songs followed by an art or craft project. The program is an excellent way for younger children to interact with others while learning more about the natural world.
‘Story Time’ runs each Tuesday morning at 10:00 from November 4th until December 16th. It breaks for the Christmas – New Year’s holidays and runs again Tuesday mornings from Jan. 6 to March 10. (no program November 11th, Dec. 23 and Dec. 30)
The EECO or Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan is located in Mission Creek Regional Park, Springfield and Durnin Roads. For more information please visit www.regionaldistrict.com/parks, drop-in or call the EECO at 250-469-6140.
Start date: Immediate
End date: Thursday, Dec. 4 – 10:30 a.m.
Outings with Adaptive Adventures
Regional Parks Services is teaming up with the Community Recreational Initiatives Society (CRIS) Adaptive Adventures, for a series of walks and hikes, making our Regional Parks accessible for everyone.
Everyone is welcome to take part in these outings, from beginner to expert and those needing assistance to enjoy the outdoors. The following hikes begin at 1:00 pm.
- Thursday, Nov. 6 – explore the grasslands, forests and viewpoints in Rose Valley Regional Park as our group heads out from the upper Westlake Road parking area (near Peak Point Drive) in West Kelowna.
- Thursday, Nov. 20 – check out the unique geological features as you travel through Kalamoir Regional Park from the Collens Hill Road parking area along the waterfront in West Kelowna.
- Thursday, Dec. 4 – dress for the season as we head along the second phase Mission Creek Greenway Regional Park starting at the Hollywood Road south parking lot at Scenic Canyon Regional Park.
Learn more about CRIS and their services for these hikes at www.AdaptiveAdventures.ca
For more information and further hikes and dates visit the Regional District website regionaldistrict.com/parksevents or contact the EECO staff at 250-469-6140.
Start date: Nov. 1 (Registration begins)
End date: Friday, Nov. 27 – 4 p.m.
Green Christmas Decorative Workshops
The EECO in Mission Creek Regional Park is once again hosting its popular ‘Green Christmas’ workshops. Learn how and make decorative wreaths and swags for the holiday season.
As this program for adults is so popular, Regional Parks Services encourages anyone interested to register quickly starting November 1st at the Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan by calling 250-469-6140 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a cost of $10 per person to participate in the workshops.
The workshops go Friday, November 28th and Saturday, Nov. 29 with a morning session each day from 10 a.m. to noon. There’s also a Saturday afternoon session from 1 to 3 p.m.
Greenery and other natural materials will be provided including prunings of Douglas fir, Cedar boughs, Oregon grape leaves, snowberries, and other natural items gathered from Regional Parks during our fall pruning. Participants are asked to please bring their own gloves, pruning shears and scissors, as well as any seasonal ribbon or old ornaments to reuse.
For more information about this or other Regional Park programs please visit the Regional District website www.regionaldistrict.com/parks or contact the EECO at 250-469-6140.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014