What we know about the suspect charged in two violent Kamloops break-ins - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Light Snow
0.5°C

What we know about the suspect charged in two violent Kamloops break-ins

John Stark.
Image Credit: FACEBOOK
November 24, 2017 - 6:30 PM

KAMLOOPS - A suspect in two violent home break-ins in east Kamloops will be appearing in court next month when he’s expected to seek bail.

John Andrew Carlton Stark, 31, of Kamloops, who RCMP say is known to them, is charged with eight counts in relation to the incidents earlier this week.

He’s been in front of the courts plenty of times in the past. Last June he pleaded guilty to several charges including theft and possession of stolen property and was sentenced to five months behind bars.

Court heard at the time that Stark had broken into a car in Paul Lake and stolen a backpack from inside the vehicle. He then used a stolen credit card at different stores.

At the time of these offences, he was on bail for stealing a car and fleeing police. He was given a 40-day sentence for the theft of vehicle, according to court documents.

Although Stark has a lengthy list of files that have been before the court, all of them are within the past four years.

During his sentencing hearing last June, Stark’s defence lawyer told the court that Stark has been going through a rough patch for the past few years after the death of his brother.

Now Stark is facing some of his most serious charges yet including attempted murder. Court documents show Stark is charged with using a firearm in attempting to commit the murder of a Kamloops homeowner.

He’s also charged with aggravated assault, pointing a firearm, and using a firearm to commit or attempt to commit a break and enter.

Stark was allegedly involved with two separate break-ins in the Dallas neighbourhood on Nov. 20. Two men were seriously injured in separate altercations.

Kamloops RCMP said after the incidents that an off-duty police officer contained the suspect in a vehicle nearby while other officers arrived.

Court documents show Stark was on probation at the time of the alleged offences.

None of the charges against him have been proven in court.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 4 when he is expected to seek bail.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile