Weekend fire in Kamloops caused by hot oil

KAMLOOPS - After a weekend fire in Kamloops, firefighters are warning people about the dangers of cooking with hot oil.

Kamloops Fire Rescue Capt. Dave Ferguson says crews responded to an apartment fire on the 500 block of Dalgleish Drive yesterday, Jan. 2.

He's not sure about the extent of the damage to the unit, but says there were injuries involved. Ferguson didn't comment on how many people were injured or the extent of their injuries.

He says this is the third fire in two months that has been caused by hot cooking oil on the stove and at least one of the pots of oil was left unattended.

Ferguson says all of these fires have happened in buildings or complexes, putting multiple people at risk.

"They’re all in townhouses or apartments," he says. "If they can’t use an alternate cooking method other than hot oil, (they should) ensure they have a cover that will cover the pot."

Ferguson says he can't stress enough how crucial it is for stoves to be watched at all times when they are turned on.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

This image released by Universal Pictures shows a scene from "Pacific Rim Uprising."
MOVIE REVIEW: 'Pacific Rim Uprising' is cheer-at-the-screen fun
  OPINION At the end of the monsters-versus-robots flick "Pacific Rim," a breach at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean is closed, plugging a hole that allowed hellish creatures to emerge and terrorize the globe.

Top News