Disney makes it official: JJ Abrams to direct seventh installment of 'Star Wars' franchise - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
7.7°C

Disney makes it official: JJ Abrams to direct seventh installment of 'Star Wars' franchise

FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2013 file photo, J.J. Abrams arrives at the Winter TCA Fox All-Star Party at the Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena, Calif. According to multiple reports, Abrams is set to direct the next installment of “Star Wars,” which Disney has said will be “Episode 7” and due out in 2015. Disney bought “Star Wars” maker Lucasfilm last month for $4.06 billion. (Photo by Matt Sayles/Invision/AP, File)
January 25, 2013 - 10:27 PM

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - It's official. The force is with J.J. Abrams.

The Walt Disney Co. issued a statement Friday night confirming reports that had been circulating for two days that Abrams, creator of TV's "Lost" and director of 2009's "Star Trek" movie, has been pegged to direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" franchise.

Disney said the movie will have a script from "Toy Story 3" writer Michael Arndt and a 2014 release.

Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote two of the movies in the original trilogy, will work as a consultant on the new project.

Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last month for $4.06 billion.

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas said in the statement that Abrams is the "ideal choice" of director and his legacy "couldn't be in better hands."

News from © The Associated Press, 2013
The Associated Press

  • Popular kamloops News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile