Two more overdose deaths as Interior Health repeats drug use warning
(CONTRIBUTED / iNFOnews.ca)
January 29, 2018 - 12:15 PM
Two more overdose deaths have been added to seven reported on Friday by the Interior Health Authority which issued a warning to drug users about the unusually high number of deaths over a short period.
The warning was reinforced in a press release issued this morning, Jan. 29.
“We would like to advise of a further update from the B.C. Coroners Service this morning confirming an additional two deaths in Interior Health region that are also suspected drug overdoses,” the release said.
The Interior Health Authority did not immediately respond to questions about where within the health authority the overdose deaths were concentrated.
The press release says none of the deaths has had a cause confirmed but warns anyway of the dangers of using street drugs alone.
According to Canadian Press, latest figures from the coroners service show there were 1,208 illicit drug overdose deaths across the province between January and October last year.
The data shows the powerful opioid fentanyl was detected in about 83 per cent of those deaths.
To contact a reporter for this story, email John McDonald or call 250-808-0143 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2018