Sunshine in store for Okanagan this weekend after showery end to week

It's going to be cool and showery in the Okanagan today and tomorrow, but conditions should improve in time for the weekend.

A cloudy, cool and possibly wet couple of days are in store for the Okanagan as the week comes to an end, but the weekend is looking good a mix of sun and cloud and temperatures closer to seasonal normals for this week in May.

Environment Canada issued a special weather statement today as a weather system moves through southern B.C. bringing showers to the region and up to five centimetres of snow on the Okanagan Connector as the snow level drops to between 1,300 and 1,500 metres tonight, May 21.

The weather to the east of B.C. is expected to be even more volatile as Alberta and Saskatchewan are preparing for thunderstorms and heavy rain, up to 60 millimetres worth, today and tomorrow, according to a Weather Network report. The Alberta foothills could also see some snow.

Environment Canada says the Okanagan can expect mainly cloudy skies today with a 60 per cent chance of showers in Vernon, and a 40 per cent chance of showers in Kelowna and Penticton, with winds southwest at 20 km/h around noon. A few showers are expected in Vernon tonight while there is a 60 per cent chance of showers expected in Kelowna and Penticton. Today’s high should reach 16 Celsius in Vernon and Kelowna, 18 C in Penticton, with a low of 8 C.

On Friday, expect to see more clouds and showers in Vernon, and a 60 per cent chance of showers in the morning for Kelowna and Penticton. Friday’s high should reach 16 C in Vernon and Kelowna, 18 C in Penticton, with an overnight low of 7 C.

Conditions pick up for the weekend with clearing skies and a high of 23 C on Saturday.

Sunday should see a mix of sun and cloud, a high of 23 C and a low of 11 C.

Clouds are expected to dominate on Monday, with a 30 per cent chance of showers Monday night, along with a high of 20 C and a low to 12 C.

More clouds are expected Tuesday with a high of 24 C and a low of 10 C.

A sun and cloud mix and a high of 24 C is anticipated Wednesday.

Normal temperatures this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 20 C and lows of 7 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.


POLL: Has your level of concern for the COVID-19 pandemic declined in the past two weeks?
B.C. is now solidly in phase 2 of re-opening the economy. Numbers from provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry show we have flattened the COVID-19 curve rather successfully and new cases continue to decline, particularly in Interior Health.
This beautiful focaccia bread is a serious WOW for your friends and family and is fun and easy to make.
You may have seen focaccia edible art on instagram... now learn to make it at home
Focaccia is a type of Italian flatbread and one of the easiest breads to make at home. This no-knead bread is made in a single bowl with a rubber spatula and requires only flour, salt, yeast, water and olive oil.   Dating back to ancie

Top News