Sunny skies expected to give way to some rain later this week in Okanagan - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
10.0°C

Sunny skies expected to give way to some rain later this week in Okanagan

Measurable amounts of rain are forecast for the Okanagan later this week, but today and tomorrow are expected to be sunny and seasonable.
June 03, 2019 - 11:27 AM

KELOWNA - Sunny skies and seasonable temperatures are expected to give way to a good chance of showers later in the week in the Okanagan.

Environment Canada meteorologist Armel Castellan said the weekend’s summer-like temperatures failed to break records, but came close.

Vernon reached highs of 31.2 Celsius on June 1 and 29.7 C on June 2, while Kelowna made it to 32.7 C on June 1 and 31.9 C on June 2. Penticton reached a high of 31.8 C on June 1 and 31.3 C on June 2.

Castellan says temperatures and winds are expected to diminish through the week as a trough spreads across the Interior bringing rain showers, in possibly measurable amounts, to the valley Thursday through Saturday.

It’s expected to be unseasonably cool for a couple of days as well.

Today, June 3, expect to see mainly sunny conditions with winds becoming southwest at 20 km/h gusting to 40 this morning and a high of 25 Celsius.

Tomorrow should be sunny with southwest winds at 20 km/h near noon. A high of 23 C is expected.

On Wednesday, a mix of sun and clouds is expected with a high of 23 C and an overnight low of 7 C.

Cloudy conditions are expected on Thursday, along with a 40 per cent chance of showers and a high of 16 C. Overnight, expect more clouds and a 60 per cent chance of showers.

On Friday, the clouds continue along with a 70 per cent chance of showers, decreasing to 60 per cent overnight, with a high of only 15 C expected.

It’s should begin to dry out and warm up a bit on Saturday, with a forecast of a mix of sun and cloud and a high of 19 C.

Vernon's air quality index sits at 3 (low to moderate risk) to start the work week, while Kelowna and Penticton are both at 2, or low risk.

Normal temperatures at this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 22 C and lows of 9 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © Infotel News Ltd, 2019
Infotel News Ltd

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile