Stormy U.S. weather heads to Okanagan - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mainly Sunny

Stormy U.S. weather heads to Okanagan

Environment Canada expects wet weather travelling up from southern U.S. desert states to cause storms in the Okanagan today.
July 17, 2013 - 11:41 AM

OKANAGAN - Wet and stormy weather is flying up from the deserts south of the border into the Okanagan.

B.C. meteorologist Doug Lundquist said Arizona and other southwest desert regions in the United States are going through their monsoon season. That moisture has made its way up through California and into southern B.C.

This means possible thunderstorms hitting Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon and Kamloops on Wednesday. The storms might also bring 70 km/h winds as well as hail. A severe thunderstorm alert has already been made for West Kootenay and Boundary.

Lundquist said these weather patterns are typical for this time of year and this northbound moisture tends to veer off into the Prairies after hitting B.C. He expects this thunderstorm system to pass and skies to be clearer tomorrow.

For today, however, Penticton is cloudy with a 60 per cent chance of showers or thunderstorms and it should be clear this afternoon with a high of 29 C. Kelowna will have a mix of sun and cloud with a 40 per cent chance of showers, possible thunderstorms and hail with a high of 29 C.

Vernon residents can expect it to be cloudy this morning with a 40 per cent chance of rain this afternoon. There is a risk of thunderstorms and hail with possible winds of 70 km/h and a high of 27 C. The same prediction applies to Kamloops as well; 40 per cent chance of showers, thunderstorm risk and high winds.

To contact a reporter for this story, to send photos or videos, email Shannon Quesnel at, call 250-488-3065 or tweet @shannonquesnel1

News from © iNFOnews, 2013

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile