Some weekend sunshine in the Okanagan forecast - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Clear
-8.6°C

Some weekend sunshine in the Okanagan forecast

It's not shaping up to be a totally sunny and dry weekend, but Environment Canada meteorologist Bobby Sekhon says it won't be all that bad, either.
February 14, 2020 - 12:00 PM

There’s a hint of spring in the Okanagan forecast over the next few days with some sunshine and daily highs rising above the freezing mark.

Environment Canada meteorologist Bobby Sekhon says an unstable airmass is bringing some moisture to the region, especially at higher elevations.

“That should taper off this afternoon, but there’s a good chance of flurries tonight and Saturday morning before they change to rain, and some wind expected from the south,” Sekhon says.

“It’s not an overly dynamic pattern but it will be a little unsettled. We won’t be able to guarantee a sunny, dry weekend, but it won’t be too terrible, either. A drying trend should begin Sunday with things looking pretty good into next week as an upper ridge builds."

Today, Feb. 14, in Kelowna and Vernon, a mix of sun and cloud is anticipated with the wind becoming south at 20 km/h gusting to 40 this afternoon. Today’s high should reach 4 C, followed by cloudy conditions and a 40 per cent chance of flurries overnight with a low to 0 C.

In Penticton, expect a mix of sun and cloud today, with the wind becoming south at 20 km/h this afternoon, and a high of 5 C. It should be cloudy overnight with a 60 per cent chance of flurries and low of 1 C.

Clouds and a 40 per cent chance of flurries, changing to a 60 per cent chance of rain showers is in the forecast for Saturday morning in the Okanagan with the snow level rising to 800 metres in the afternoon. The wind is expected from the south at 20 km/h gusting to 40 in the afternoon with a high of 5 C and an overnight low of -3 C.

A mix of sun and cloud is forecast for Sunday with a high of 6 C and a low of -3 C.

Monday should see a mix of sun and cloud with a high of 5 C, with cloudy periods overnight and a low of -4.

Tuesday should see mostly sunny skies along with a high of 5 C and an overnight low of -5 C under cloudy skies.

Cloudy skies and a high of 3 C is forecast for Wednesday.

There is a 30 per cent chance of flurries overnight with a low of -3 C.

Cloudy skies continue Thursday with a high of 5 C along with a 30 per cent chance of flurries.

Normal temperatures at this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 2 C and lows of -5 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2020
iNFOnews

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
  • New mountain highway proposed between Red Deer and Kamloops
    An Alberta development group is pitching the idea of a new highway linking central Alberta to B.C. cutting through the mountains and a section of Banff National Park. The Central Alberta Eco
  • Kamloops firefighter back at work after co-workers saved his life
    Four months after his co-workers saved his life, a Kamloops firefighter is back at work. Mike Silva has been working with Kamloops Fire Rescue for 15 years and was enjoying some time off in
  • Pier 1 closing all of its stores in Canada
    Pier 1 Imports, Inc. announced today that it has entered into bankruptcy protection and is pursuing a sale. The retailer  commenced voluntary Chapter 11 proceedings in the U.S. Bankrupt
  • West Kelowna's Bull Mountain glistens for its close-up
    It’s not a secret that West Kelowna’s family ski hill is getting infused with new life. Bull Mountain Adventure Park is being built on the remnants of Crystal Mountain Resort, an
  • Vernon family captures mesmerizing melting ice
    A Vernon family was on their way home from Kelowna when they made a pit stop after noticing a beautiful scene along Wood Lake. Matthew Royal and his daughters noticed how “cool”
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile