Snow turning to rain with a mild week ahead in the Okanagan | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Partly Cloudy
8.8°C

Kelowna News

Snow turning to rain with a mild week ahead in the Okanagan

Showers are expected later in the week in the Okanagan following the wet snow and rain showers up and down the valley Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019.
November 12, 2019 - 11:18 AM

A cool and snowy start to the week isn’t expected to last in the Okanagan.

Environment Canada says the wet snow in some parts of the valley this morning, Nov. 12, will change to periods of rain as the temperature rises.

In Kelowna, snowfall amounts of up to five centimetres were predicted over higher terrain. Up to five cm of the wet snow was forecast for the valley bottom in Vernon, with up to 10 cm over high terrain. Penticton seemed to miss out on the snow, with mostly rain falling in the area, although some wet snow was expected over higher terrain.

Winds are expected to become south at 20 km/h this afternoon in the Okanagan with a daytime high of 4 Celsius in Vernon and Kelowna, and 6 C in Penticton.

There is a 60 per cent chance of showers this evening and after midnight in Vernon, 30 per cent in Kelowna, and clearing skies expected in Penticton. The snow level is expected to drop to 1,300 metres with a low of 1 C expected.

Tomorrow should start off cloudy but become a mix of sun and cloud late in the morning. A high of 7 C is expected in Vernon, 6 C in Kelowna and 8 C in Penticton, with cloudy periods overnight and low of 1 C in all three cities.

Thursday should see a mix of sun and clouds in the valley with a high of 6 C. Thursday night there is a 60 per cent chance of showers with a low of 4 C expected.

Showers are also expected Friday under cloudy skies with a 60 per cent chance of rain forecast and a high of 9 C. Cloudy periods along with a 40 per cent chance of showers is expected overnight Friday with a low of 1 C.

Rain is also in the forecast for Saturday with a high of 5 C.

Cloudy skies with a 60 per cent chance of showers are expected overnight Saturday, continuing into Sunday with a low of 3 C and a high of 8 C on Sunday.

It should remain cloudy to start the return to work week on Monday with a 60 per cent chance of showers and a high of 7 C expected.

Normal temperatures at this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 4 C and lows of -2 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2019
iNFOnews

  • Popular kamloops News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile