Senior woman dies in fire at Kamloops retirement home | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Light Snow

Kamloops News

Senior woman dies in fire at Kamloops retirement home

Image Credit:
August 25, 2015 - 7:27 AM

KAMLOOPS — A Kamloops woman has died from her injuries after her room caught fire in a downtown senior’s complex yesterday, Aug. 24.

Platoon Capt. Troy Grant says Kamloops Fire Rescue and paramedics responded to the call at Glenfair Complex on Glenfair Drive around 10:20 p.m. and determined the woman fell asleep in her chair with a lit cigarette.

“Her neighbour actually put the fire out with a garden hose,” he says adding they also pulled her out of the one-bedroom apartment. The elderly woman later died from her injuries.

“The neighbour did a good job trying to save her. It was unfortunate she was unsuccessful," he says. 

Image Credit: Google Maps

To contact a reporter for this story, email Glynn Brothen at, or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email or call 250-718-2724.

News from © iNFOnews, 2015

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile