Retirement building evacuated because of toaster

Image Credit: Jenn Stahn

WEST KELOWNA – A smoking toaster forced residents of a multi-unit retirement building out of their homes early Wednesday morning.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue were called to the building on Brown Road just after 5 a.m.

According to a release, fire crews located a toaster in a suite on the second floor that was the cause. Using fans they were able to ventilate the smoke and residents were allowed to return to their homes within an hour.

The fire was deemed accidental and there were no injuries.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue wants to remind residents, owners and managers of apartment buildings to regularly conduct fire drills and to leave any building if fire alarms start ringing.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infonews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


letters-to-the-editor
LETTER: Lynn Beyak's anti-Indigenous narrative is not new to Indigenous peoples
  OPINION Editor, Senator Lynn Beyak’s racist letters that were published on her website have been controversial in the media lately but the news frenzy surrounding Beyak’s actions to support an anti-I

Top News