Problem with hydro line caused million-dollar fire | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Partly Cloudy  3.7°C

Vernon News

Problem with hydro line caused million-dollar fire

Two homes in the Ambleside Adult Community were severely damaged by a natural gas fed fire early in the morning on Aug. 13, 2013.

VERNON – An arcing power line is to blame for a fire that did over $2 million damage to a pair of homes in Vernon this summer.

“There had been a problem with the install years ago where some arcing had been occurring,” Vernon fire chief Jack Blair said. “It finally caught fire one day.”

The arcing from the underground power line ignited the insulation on the cable, which spread to the vinyl siding.

A natural gas line in the narrow walkway between the two homes also erupted, sending flames shooting into the houses in the Ambleside Adult Community on 53rd Avenue.

The people living in the homes escaped unharmed, but the structures and their contents were destroyed.

News from © iNFOnews, 2013
iNFOnews

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile