Penticton firefighters respond to microwave fire, gas line rupture
Penticton firefighters monitored a gas leak that closed Duncan Avenue for several hours yesterday, Nov.28, 2017.
(STEVE ARSTAD / iNFOnews.ca)
November 29, 2017 - 9:58 AM
PENTICTON - A fire in a microwave that spread to the home has displaced a Penticton resident for a few days.
Deputy Fire Chief Chris Forster says Penticton firefighters were called to a Burnaby Avenue address around 2:23 a.m. this morning, Nov.29, to find a residence filled with smoke.
Forster says the homeowner was heating up a therapeutic bean bag in the microwave when it caught fire, spreading to a nearby cabinet and scorching the wall.
Forster says the lone occupant of the residence was relocated for a few days due to smoke damage in the building.
Firefighters also spent nearly three hours monitoring a gas leak that closed Duncan Avenue between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. yesterday, Nov. 28.
A contractor using a back hoe inadvertently severed a large, 1.5-inch gas line, resulting in the need to close the road in order to maintain an appropriate safety zone.
Although a Fortis representative was quickly on scene to assess the incident, the nearest repair crew had to come from Osoyoos, Forster says.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017