Overnight fire contained to vehicle - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
3.3°C

Overnight fire contained to vehicle

Image Credit: Google Streetview
December 04, 2014 - 6:09 AM

KELOWNA — Firefighters were able to prevent a car fire from spreading to a home last night.

Kelowna Fire Department was called shortly after 11 p.m. Dec. 3 to 1606 Lindsay Drive. Platoon Capt. Kelly Stephens says they found a car with flames coming from the engine compartment. It was in the driveway not far from the garage door and was starting to melt the plastic on the garage door, rendering it inoperable.

They got the fire out easy enough but not before some smoke got inside the home so crews needed to ventilate the house. That meant the three residents and one pet had to stay with a friend.

"Cause of the fire was a malfunctioning block heater on the car," Stephens said. "The Kelowna Fire Department reminds everyone when using block heaters have the proper size extension cord and plug into a ground fault breaker."

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd
Tags: fire

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile