No irregularities in waste contract selection process: Penticton CFO | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Penticton News

No irregularities in waste contract selection process: Penticton CFO

FILE PHOTO - Waste Connections Canada, formerly Progressive Waste Solutions, was recently awarded the new garbage contract for the City of Penticton.
July 12, 2017 - 6:30 PM

PENTICTON - A recent review of a request for proposals for a new garbage contract for the City of Penticton has concluded the City acted fairly in the procurement process, according to the city’s top administrator.

Chief financial officer Jim Bauer conducted a review of the City’s actions following a complaint by local waste management company Appleton Waste Services Inc., one of the unsuccessful bidders.

Bauer said in a media release the proposal was a cooperative effort, led by the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen between the City of Penticton, Summerland, Oliver, Osoyoos and Keremeos to find the best value for garbage collection for their respective areas.

Four service providers submitted proposals which were evaluated separately for Penticton by two staff members, under a previously established set of criteria and scoring, he said.

Each municipality scored the service providers using the same criteria, the two evaluators from the City of Penticton ranking Waste Connections with the highest approval at 89 points and Appleton Waste Services Inc. tied for lowest score with 71 points.

Only 30 per cent of the evaluation criteria was based on price, the remaining 70 per cent based on overall quality, experience, methodology and performance.

“Upon reviewing the procurement process, my assessment is that the steps followed by the City for evaluating and rewarding the contract was conducted fairly and appropriately, using the predetermined criteria,” Bauer said in the release.

The new contract with Waste Connections of Canada begins in July 2018 and will span seven years.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2017

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile