Mother weeps for her son: Trial hears how Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks died | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Kamloops News

Mother weeps for her son: Trial hears how Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks died

This is a 2015 photo of Mylan Hicks of the San Francisco 49ers NFL football team. A man charged in the 2016 shooting death of a Canadian Football League player is scheduled to stand trial today. Nelson Tony Lugela, 21, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Mylan Hicks, a 23-year-old defensive back who was on the practice roster of the Calgary Stampeders.
December 03, 2018 - 2:30 PM

CALGARY - A Calgary Stampeder's offensive lineman wiped away tears Monday as he described the shooting death of a teammate outside a nightclub more than two years ago.

Derek Dennis was the first witness called at the second-degree murder trial of Nelson Lugela, 21, who is charged in the murder of Mylan Hicks, a member of the Stampeder's practice roster.

Dennis told the court that a minor altercation occurred at Marquee Beer Market in Calgary on Sept. 25, 2016 where the team was celebrating a victory over Winnipeg a few hours earlier.

He said the dispute began over a spilled drink and the Stampeders' assistant coach bought drinks for everyone involved to try to smooth things over.

Dennis said after the club was closed, he went and brought his car to the front and saw another altercation outside. Worried his teammates might be involved, he said he started to get out of the car and heard a bottle breaking, a gunshot and people rushing away.

"I see Mylan running towards my direction. As I see Mylan running towards me I see the shooter come out with the gun pointed towards him. I see him take a second shot — bang. I see Mylan starts to stumble," Dennis told court.

"As he's stumbling, the shooter takes a third shot — bang. After he took a third shot, that's when I see Mylan hit the concrete facedown."

Dennis said he and teammate Jamal Nixon rushed to his friend's side.

"As he grabs Mylan and flips him over, he's like holding him. He unzips his coat. He opens it up and opens his shirt and I just see a bullet hole in his chest area," Dennis said.

"Mylan's just laying there. You could see he's gasping for air and trying to hold on to himself. We're all just telling him: 'Just hold on Mylan, the ambulance is coming.'"

Dennis tried to compose himself before continuing.

"I'm heartbroken. I was scared for him, man. I was just praying and hoping he could hold on long enough for the ambulance come get him."

He said the shooter and two other young men jumped into an SUV and sped away. Police say they arrested three people about 45 minutes later when they returned to the scene.

Hicks's mother, Renee Hill, cried as she listened to details of her 23-year-old son's death. Hill was wearing a white T-shirt with the word "Mom" and her son's number 6 on the back and a photo of him in a Michigan State football uniform on the front.

Crown prosecutor Thomas Spark said Hicks was shot twice after the altercation spilled out into the parking lot.

"There was another brief confrontation. Mr. Lugela then raised the gun and fired two bullets into Mr. Hicks striking him in the chest and abdomen," Spark told court.

Lugela, who also had family members in court, pleaded not guilty.

The Crown says it plans to call 33 witnesses and the trial is scheduled to last two weeks.

A number of Stampeders players are expected to testify at the trial, which was purposely delayed until after the recent Grey Cup game which Calgary won.

— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter

News from © The Canadian Press, 2018
The Canadian Press

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile