More unsettled conditions in the Okanagan forecast this week following sunny weekend | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

-4.7°C

Penticton News

More unsettled conditions in the Okanagan forecast this week following sunny weekend

The best days to enjoy some Okanagan sun this week look like they'll be Wednesday to Friday, as Environment Canada calls for mostly sunny skies and seasonable temperatures.
July 06, 2020 - 11:18 AM

The sunshine this past weekend felt like a rare treat for Okanagan residents who haven’t seen much sunshine on Saturdays and Sundays so far this summer.

However, the unsettled conditions the valley has been subjected to for most of the spring and summer  are expected to return to the valley this week, bringing a thunderstorm threat tonight and tomorrow.

Some midweek sun should provide the best weather of this week before clouds and showers gather in time for next weekend.

While the Okanagan struggles to put together more than a couple of  consecutive days of summer weather, Ontario continues to bake in a heat wave that should see temperatures in the mid- to-high 30s this week. The Weather Network says heat warnings have been issued for much of the province as the heat wave enters its second week. The province hasn’t had much rain either, as Toronto only received 70 per cent of its normal June rain, and no rain has fallen so far in July.

In Alberta, Calgary continues to deal with severe weather as a tornado alert was issued for that city late yesterday, July 6. The tornadoes didn’t materialize, but The Weather Network says Alberta faces further severe weather risks today, with a potential for severe thunderstorms in that province.

Environment Canada says to expect a mix of sun and cloud in the Okanagan today, July 6, with a risk of a thunderstorm late this afternoon. Winds are expected to be light but could gust to 70 km/h near thunderstorms.

Expect a high of 27 C in Vernon, 28 C in Kelowna and 29 C in Penticton, along with a low of 13 C in Vernon and Kelowna, and 15 C in Penticton, today.There is also a 60 per cent chance of showers overnight in Vernon and Kelowna, 40 per cent in Penticton, along with a risk of thunderstorms.

Showers are expected Tuesday, with a 30 per cent possibility in the morning increasing to 70 per cent near noon along with a thunderstorm risk all day. Tuesday’s high should reach 21 C in Vernon and Kelowna,  and 23 C in Penticton, with a low of 11 C in all three cities. There’s a 60 per cent chance of showers Tuesday night as well.

Skies should clear Wednesday with a high of 25 C and a low of 12 C forecast for the valley.

More sun is predicted Thursday and Friday with highs of 27 C and 26 C respectively, and overnight lows of 13 C.

The weekend looks cloudy and possibly wet once again, starting with a 30 per cent chance of showers Friday night.

Saturday should see a mix of sun and cloud, with a high of 25 C.

There is a 30 per cent chance of showers overnight, rising to 60 per cent on Sunday under cloudy skies.

Temperatures on the weekend are expected to be just below seasonable values, with a high of 25 C expected for both Saturday and Sunday.

Normal temperatures for this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 26 C and lows of 11 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2020
iNFOnews

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile