Less rain, more warmth in Okanagan 7-day forecast

Beachgoers enjoyed a nice afternoon on Okanagan Lake Beach in Penticton, Wednesday, July 8, 2020. The seven-day forecast is calling for more beach weather, with less rain and warmer temperatures in the Okanagan.

An improving forecast brings hope the highly unsettled weather conditions the Okanagan has faced so far this summer may soon be coming to an end.

Environment Canada’s forecast for the next week is only calling for showers today, with the prospect of mostly sunny skies and temperatures close to seasonal levels.

Saturday looks to be the best day of the weekend, with sun and a high of 27 Celsius, but another system will cool things down and bring a mix of sun and cloud to the valley on Sunday.

In central Canada there is no end in sight for a heat wave gripping Ontario, with temperatures throughout that province in the 30s over the last several days. A tornado watch was issued for Toronto and parts of southern Ontario yesterday afternoon, July 8 While no tornadoes were reported the city was hit with thunderstorms and torrential rain. According to The Weather Network, Toronto received more rain in 20 minutes than the entire month of June and early July, with 50.4 mm falling in about 20 minutes.

Today in the Okanagan, there is a 60 per cent chance of showers this afternoon, 40 per cent in Penticton, with winds becoming southwest at 20 km/h, gusting to 40 this afternoon. Today’s high should reach 20 C in Vernon and Kelowna, 22 C in Penticton, with a low overnight of 12 C along with a 40 per cent possibility of showers early this evening, before clearing.

Friday should be mainly sunny with a high of 26 C in Vernon and Kelowna, 27 C in Penticton. Winds are expected to be southwest at 20 km/h, gusting to 40 in the afternoon. Friday’s low should reach 12 C.

Saturday’s forecast calls for sun, windy conditions and a high of 27 C, along with an overnight low of 13 C.

A mix of sun and clouds is expected Sunday with temperatures cooling to a high of 21 C. Sunday night should see cloudy periods and a low of 11 C.

A mix of sun and cloud is expected for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week, with highs of 25 C, 26 C and 27 C respectively. Overnight lows are expected at 12 C and 13 C Monday and Tuesday.

Normal temperatures this time of year in the Okanagan are highs of 26 C and lows of 12 C.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to tips@infonews.ca and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.


THOMPSON: Wear a mask for the right reasons
  OPINION Last week, as I was standing with about 15 shoppers at my local grocery store - each six feet from one another - a woman wearing a mask behind me in the queue caught my eye and said, “Thank you for weari
Vineyards at The Rise.
Why Vernon doesn't have any wineries... yet
Making your way from one winery to the next, half-a-dozen sips at a time, has become the quintessential thing to do on a sunny afternoon for those living in the Interior. With the Okanagan Valley having more than 80 per cent of the entire p

Top News