North Okanagan home saved after suffering chimney fire | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Vernon News

North Okanagan home saved after suffering chimney fire

November 29, 2019 - 3:23 PM

A Lavington household had a lucky escape this morning after a fire broke out in their attic.

According to a Vernon-North Okanagan RCMP media release, just after 8:45 a.m. today, Nov. 19, officers were called to an attic fire at a property on Bluenose Road.

The property, which is outside of the fire department's coverage zone, was ablaze when the officers arrived and the homeowners were frantically trying to save their belongings and attempting to put out the fire.

Heavy smoke was coming from under the roof and the officers dousing the hotspots with water. The media release says thanks to the efforts of everyone involved the fire was extinguished.

The fire is believed to have started in the chimney of the home's wood-burning stove.

"With the winter months upon us, this is a good reminder to ensure the maintenance of your heating source. This includes fireplaces, chimneys, furnaces and wood-burning stoves," Const Jocelyn Noseworthy said in the release. "We are extremely grateful that no one was injured in this incident, and that the home was saved."

To contact a reporter for this story, email Ben Bulmer or call (250) 309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2019

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile