Ginseng harvesting prohibited in Daniel Boone Forest | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy  2.4°C

Ginseng harvesting prohibited in Daniel Boone Forest

WINCHESTER, Ky. - Federal forestry officials are warning Kentucky ginseng hunters to stay away from national forest lands as harvest time approaches.

Taking ginseng from national forest lands is currently prohibited. In an effort to reestablish the wild ginseng population, the Daniel Boone National Forest suspended ginseng harvesting last year.

Forest Supervisor Dan Olsen says demand for wild ginseng is surpassing the supply, meaning it could be at risk of disappearing from the eastern Kentucky forest.

Kentucky's ginseng season is Sept. 1 through Dec. 1. Landowner permission for ginseng collection is required.

A release says in the last year, about 20 individuals have been fined and required to appear in federal court for illegally taking ginseng and other plants from the Daniel Boone National Forest.

News from © The Associated Press, 2017
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile