Kelowna family homeless after grease fire - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
2.7°C

Kelowna family homeless after grease fire

Everyone got out safely after a grease fire in the kitchen of a duplex on Hollydell Road in Rutland, Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015.
January 10, 2015 - 4:44 PM

KELOWNA – A family of five find themselves without a place to live after a grease fire in their half of a Kelowna duplex this afternoon, Jan. 10.

Kelowna Fire Rescue got the call around 3:30 p.m. about smoke and flames visible at a home at 645 Hollydell Rd. in Rutland.

Platoon captain Kelly Stephens says the small fire started on the stove in the kitchen and extended into the attic. Fire fighters quickly put out the blaze.

The two adults and three children got out of the house and no one was hurt, but the fire and smoke damage means the family won’t be able to live in their house until repairs are made.

Neighbours say the family had only been in house for a week, having moved in on New Year’s Day.

Stephens says they are in the care of Emergency Social Services.

To contact the reporter for this story, email John McDonald at jmcdonald@infotelnews.ca or call 250-808-0143. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile